UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The FCC has voted in favor of #NetNeutrality, internet now a "Utility" ! Thoughts?

toronto_matt

Sorceror
this fight is being had in many countries around the globe right now, lots of disinformation is out there on both sides..

was today's ruling good?

i mean more government regulation and control are not always popular things and rightly so but in the case.. if its gonna protect the consumer from being gouged the fuck out by comcast, verizon and all the other corporations looking to cut up and tier the internet to maximize profit and have the 1% operating essentially on a super fast lane internet wise and the rest of us 99% using the modern day equivalent of a 56k modem, it cant be a bad thing right?

has obama and the dem lead FCC actually done something GOOD? :D

i know alot of people on here are probably right leaning (anti big government) types, but one could argue in the future, its the not the big governments we have to worry about.. its the corporations..

canada will soon have its fight on this issue and todays ruling down south is an encouraging thing

well done

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/26/technology/fcc-rules-net-neutrality/index.html

Last edited:

Chaos_Lord

Sorceror
I really don't believe this is going to lead to an overabundance of regulation. I'm hoping that it will actually change nothing except stop comcast from milking youtube and netflix for extra cash. Comcasts profits are doing very well currently. Netflix actually paid comcast for a fast lane already so they are out the cash but comcast will be fine. It's just a bunch of saber-rattling.

Reading the actual draft there is some language that makes me cautious including the FCC having the ability to regulate pricing and services offered. That is no guarantee that they will actually regulate them but that they do in fact have the power to tell comcast et al "All internet now costs $3 per month" if the FCC so chose.

Mobile data is also now title II. I don;t really understand enough about mobile networks and the data process to comment there.

The Republicans are fear-mongering over the issue but the argument has some credibility. If the FCC commission was somehow replaced with 3 of 5 FAR-FAR-LEFTISTS or agenda-driven-assholes they could literally destroy comcast, TWC, and a few other internet/TV providers in one fell swoop (with the $3 internet). Other companies like verizon, and ATT could survive by transiting away from data and focusing on other areas like mobile(they would be f^&ked, just not dead). (See note above about lack of info on mobile/Title II)

I don't think it will go this way but if the FCC gets too ham-handed it will lead to less investment in infrastructure and service (aka slower internet with less provider options).

There are however some major advantages as well. Google now has access to municipal areas (meaning it will be cheaper for them to run fiber to many new areas). This also opens the door for other companies that may have an interest in building a fiber network since access to municipal areas is now possible.

Pepsi_Rox

Knight
If we are both on this forum 10 years from now....an corp this thread and let's see if you are right :)
the patriot act hasn't even fully matured yet.

the democracy portion was that FCC officials voted on it, whom are not even elected to their position.

toronto_matt

Sorceror
I really don't believe this is going to lead to an overabundance of regulation. I'm hoping that it will actually change nothing except stop comcast from milking youtube and netflix for extra cash. Comcasts profits are doing very well currently. Netflix actually paid comcast for a fast lane already so they are out the cash but comcast will be fine. It's just a bunch of saber-rattling.

Reading the actual draft there is some language that makes me cautious including the FCC having the ability to regulate pricing and services offered. That is no guarantee that they will actually regulate them but that they do in fact have the power to tell comcast et al "All internet now costs $3 per month" if the FCC so chose.

Mobile data is also now title II. I don;t really understand enough about mobile networks and the data process to comment there.

The Republicans are fear-mongering over the issue but the argument has some credibility. If the FCC commission was somehow replaced with 3 of 5 FAR-FAR-LEFTISTS or agenda-driven-assholes they could literally destroy comcast, TWC, and a few other internet/TV providers in one fell swoop (with the $3 internet). Other companies like verizon, and ATT could survive by transiting away from data and focusing on other areas like mobile(they would be f^&ked, just not dead). (See note above about lack of info on mobile/Title II)

I don't think it will go this way but if the FCC gets too ham-handed it will lead to less investment in infrastructure and service (aka slower internet with less provider options).

There are however some major advantages as well. Google now has access to municipal areas (meaning it will be cheaper for them to run fiber to many new areas). This also opens the door for other companies that may have an interest in building a fiber network since access to municipal areas is now possible.

yea, honestly its not a left or right issue, its a common sense one.. its pocket book one..

i agree, still lots of questions to be answered and things to be worked out but just simply weighing the pros vs cons, FARRR more pros out of this, all anyone needs to do is actually read the damn thing and they can see for themselves

Last edited:

toronto_matt

Sorceror
you give the government an inch and they take a mile

today was a sad day for democracy.

i dont disagree with you, but the same applies for the corporations who are in the ACTUAL buisness of (making money of you) billions every year for their share holders, thats all they care about, they are not in the biz of common good for society or helping you out on your internet bill

yes the government wants to regulate people to death, yes the government wants to have as much control as possible, that has always been the case with governments since the roman empire.. that is the nature of the beast.. but when you think about it the government really doesnt make a profit.. yes they are annoying, and untrustworthy at times one could say, but they (unlike companies like comcast/verizon) are not in to JUST (make money) because.. well.. they dont.. they go further into debt every year...

so it really comes down to who do you trust more?

would u rather the government have a bit more control over the internet but make it the same for everyone? and designate it a public utility just like WATER, ELECTRICITY AND ALL THAT? or would you give more control to the Corporations who have already cornered the market and can charge and provide that service any way they like? i mean really think about it..

i know you dont like the government and for alot of the reasons you probably dont i would agree with you but the net is essentially now an essential service now in 2015, we have progressed as a society to that point.. if you dont have the internet in todays world, well.. your fucked..

could u imagine if we had to shop around for water and electricity like you do for internet providers? imagine if you were dying and had to call an abulance but before they came you had to sign a contract or bid for that abulance to arrive? i know it sounds absurd but some things should just be designated essential, and the internet has reached that point. it should not be pure profit based..

government is big and bloated and inefficient but not everything it does is automatically bad

if some of you guys want a place with NO GOVERNMENT, move SOMALIA :D

its great! :D u dont have to pay property taxes, sales taxes, the governemt doesnt care what you do! BUTTTT... with the government as non existent and small as it is the roads dont get paved, zero public safety, cops dont get payed properly so they are corrupt as hell, no money for proper sanitation, education. all the things of a first world country.. its well, a hell hole..

one could say government is a necessary evil..

it has its flaws tho, u will get no argument from me there, i know the government is spying on me and you and everyone else, i know they want to control everything but ive accepted that, that is just the world we live in

Last edited:

Pepsi_Rox

Knight
the net is essentially now an essential service now in 2015
internet is not an "essential service", it is a luxury good, so are smart phones, so are ipads, so are computers. they should not be funded by taxpayer dollars. our constitution guarantees liberty and freedom, not entitlement.

my grief w/ the government stems from overreach and patent/copyright laws. it really has little to do with intent. I'm more pro localized government and anti federalism than anti government. in fact I love government and democracy :). this particular action is a federal takeover of what should be a local issue, in my opinion. but then again, what do I know a bout monopoly and anti-trust law :/

Chaos_Lord

Sorceror
internet is not an "essential service", it is a luxury good, so are smart phones, so are ipads, so are computers. they should not be funded by taxpayer dollars. our constitution guarantees liberty and freedom, not entitlement.

my grief w/ the government stems from overreach and patent/copyright laws. it really has little to do with intent. I'm more pro localized government and anti federalism than anti government. in fact I love government and democracy :). this particular action is a federal takeover of what should be a local issue, in my opinion. but then again, what do I know a bout monopoly and anti-trust law :/
While I am worried about government overreach stifling private investment in data infrastructure due to the new FCC regulation I disagree that the internet is a luxury. The internet is an absolute requirement of a modern and global society.
The internet is required for independent research (ALL TV media is heavily biased), job hunting (even minimum wage jobs require an online application), encrypted communication (necessary for free communication among the oppressed), and efficient social communication.

Pepsi_Rox

Knight
the internet is required for independent research (ALL TV media is heavily biased), job hunting (even minimum wage jobs require an online application), encrypted communication (necessary for free communication among the oppressed), and efficient social communication.
all of these are false and luxury uses of the internet.

my deal w/ health care is that you have the right to be born, and the right to die. nobody gives you the right to be living. same with internet, I rank them in the exact same category. If the government wishes to provide it to people that need it for these, less luxury uses, they offer it publicly, locally, at libraries.

I treat national defense, the SEC, and a couple other agencies differently because those are inherently global sectors of the government. I can tell you this law will create more monopolies not less monopolies. I would not be shocked if a lawsuit was brought against this and if it was taken to a higher court. I would also not be shocked if the american people just forgot about it and kept up with the kurdashians.

I don't think they will just be happy licking the frosting off the cake. washington has proven the exact opposite over time. in fact, they may manage to create debt out of the internet. :p

if its gonna protect the consumer from being gouged the fuck out by comcast, verizon and all the other corporations looking to cut up and tier the internet to maximize profit and have the 1% operating essentially on a super fast lane internet wise and the rest of us 99% using the modern day equivalent of a 56k modem, it cant be a bad thing right?

I don't think that's how free-market "works."

toronto_matt

Sorceror
I don't think that's how free-market "works."

free market is all well and good when it works properly, not when its a monopoly of like 2 (maybe 3) telecoms in the entire country that control virtually everything

in certain areas of the country there actually is no choice at all. you either get your internet from the one single company that is there or you have no internet. there is no competition period

and im not talking rural areas like it used to be 10-20 years ago, im talking entire major metropolitan areas in the mid west, you have 1 option, MAYBE 2

so ya.. they can charge what they want and they will take advantage however and wherever they can as long as its legal and doesnt start to hurt their bottom line and is not too extreme

free market will only work and correct things/prices/service for consumers when there is competition and companies have to start to worry about people jumping ship to the "other guy"

in more and more places, there IS no other guy..