UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How to increase faction population!

Rayden

Sorceror
Well, its common sense that factions are not worth it the trouble here. Back then, you could make a temporarily blessed a weapon (better than looted weapons) if you were in a faction (imagine that when there was no item insurance). You could control the economy of the ONLY facet of the game (which was huge), and, of course, freely attack people on different scenarios, earn titles, become a known PvPer.

This kinda lost its sense when the new UO came up, and later OSI tried to fix that by adding an incentive that was a little too much, in my opinion (faction artifacts)

So, to improve that, we would need to go in a new direction, contrary to OSI. Do I believe that demise will take this path? Oh, hell no! But I really think that faction fights are better than regular fights and because of that, despite all my disbelief, I'm gonna give a few suggestions:

1. Diminish the skill loss time. There's a reason for skill loss. Faction fights were all about objectives. So if the objective was to take the stolen sigils on enemy's base, with lots of players in a very defensive position, you had to find a way to slowly remove the dead players of the fight and that's why skill loss is arround.

Well, let's analyse that. In a shard where instant-ress, instant-loot your corpse is a HUGE thing in how people PvP, I think its really difficult to believe that people will join factions if they don't receive some other good incentives. So, IMO skill loss still an essential part of how faction fights work, but disputes are faster now, therefore 20 minutes or so skill-loss has no sense here in Demise, something close to 5 minutes would be enough to assure that objectives are being achieved.

2. Rides! Removing the Taming exploit / Improving faction horses. No more people riding cu sidhes and nightmares, and other similar strong pets with ZERO taming on their characters. That apparently innocent thing, if removed would force people to look for non-exploited alternatives of a strong ride. What is left? Lesser hiryus (only for players with bushido), Swamp Dragons (not that strong), Grizzled Mare (expensive, not that strong, bad resists, slayer vulnerability) and War Horses:geek:. But there's a thing, trained war horses used to be meaningful in battles back in the day, something similar to what grizzled mare damage represents in fights nowadays, so I think it had to be improved in hit points and in damage. It looks cool, people in factions would have a FAIR advantage compared the non-faction ones, but nothing that makes inviable to fight outside a faction.

--------- BEGGINING of some ideas that need some work from the community.

3. Perks achieved by killing enemies (NOT ITEMS!) . Well, we still need to make a use for the Silver Coins. How about if silver coins could only be achieved by killing enemies, and with those coins the highly skilled faction player could buy him some temporary perks? Nothing damage related, something like receiving the hability to know how many enemy factioners are in a area? Stronger War Horse? Possibility of a different title (apart from the standard faction ones?). That would make killing an enemy have a whole new flavor. People don't need to be rewarded in items, they can be rewarded by being recognized as a good player as well.

4. Controllable Towns. Felluca towns are not populated anymore, people don't hang arround in Yew or Vesper, not even in Britain. Going in those towns to take the sigils seems rather pointless. We would need to recreate the main reason why factions exists, because that lost its meaning throughout the years. My suggestion is to make people fight for spawns. Maybe the tracking enemies idea of the 3rd suggestion would only work if the faction controlled that dungeon?

Well, those are the ideas I can think of. It's a hell of a lot of work, I don't expect to receive reasonable suggestions / critics from this community, but if all of that makes sense to some of you, maybe wasn't worthless.

(edited to remove passive aggressive references, so people can express their opinions in a civilized way)

Last edited:

Dagon Piton

Wanderer
dont add this items. i came from server with them, its easy to wear all cap hero with them ( i had 18 mr 45 def 45 hit 18 mr 40 lmc 30 sdi 75 reflect pure mage) and nobody will need doom arts, pls never add them
my stats was with potions 150 98 150 and i was unkillable 1 vs 3 easy
without this arts you need to choose what raise more hc or more dc or more mr with faction arts u will get all caps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZcaQxIShtA

Last edited:

Akka

Sorceror
please do not add these faction items, me and Dagon just moved here form a server with 350 players online, and literally everyone running around in full faction arti gear, even the pvm characters. This made everything runic made worthless, xcept sleeves, and you can easily make a top char like he mentioned in two weeks. This will destroy server, so i vote for a big no-no.

Dagon Piton

Wanderer
u can do here chaos and order 2 factions without silver, but if u join in one of these side u can pvp anywhere with enemys (trammel malas etc)
i can tell you that with faction arts mages will op, because melee and archery heroes cant kill them, evade chance 50% fighting skill and 35% parrying with 90 dex

Last edited:

invalid name

Wanderer
Best way to fix factions.

No.1 Wipe all faction rosters
No.2 Balance Faction number E.g if 5 people join TB nobody can join TB till the other 3 factions have 5 in aswell, 5 is a small number but the principle is the same.
No.3 Implement a resriction so that if i join my pvper to TB then i cant join a fake char i just made on a different account too minax <- ive seen this implemented on a different freesever and worked pretty well to stop people farming points.
No.4 Give people that activly play factions a reason to play them. Faction arties have plus's and minus's but if you did bring them in you could make them so that if the armor took damage in tram that they would break instantly, This would stop people using the armor for pvm <- also seen this on another freeserver really quiet good in my opinion.
No.5 a really easy quick fix ive seen is to change the spawn of silver serpents to a different mob thats of simular abilities/ change the TB mob from silver serpent to for arguments sake a Giant snake.

Or just use chaos vs order...

Dagon Piton

Wanderer
if staff will add faction arties they will destroy demise original pvp system, i like that system here, players cant equip all caps like 45 def 45 hit 18 mr 40 lmc , on server with faction arties nobody need to have meditation///but here a lot of players with it because dont have a lot of manaregen on items its (100-120 skill points free with faction arties), so pvp system will change
ornament 3 mr, tome 3 mr high resits of f artyes give u chance to wear pendant on pvp hero
my english is bad so maybe u will understand me, dont destroy server pls with f arties

kolbycrouch

Knight
Release just the consumables like enhanced bandies. Fix taming glitch, so war horses are worth something, and maybe implement a system that restricts new faction recruits until other factions catch up with members, to balance it out a bit.

I played a lot in faction on other servers and from my experience here want people to get into faction, which I love hehe

1 Fix the bug of animal taming
Add 2 if a blue attacks you first, your whole faction will see gray.
3rd With coins silvers, add a small trunk where the headquarters of the faction, with which you can buy improved bandages or any nonsense, provided they do not affect trade server.
Change 4th time lost for 10 minutes.

If you make these changes, all PVPs be in faction. When I enter the server, the first thing I did was get in faction, then I realized I was alone and that weird me greatly.

Thank you.

Bad Mutha

Sorceror
The only thing that would make everyone go to factions without adding or removing anything to the current system is simply changing stat loss time duration to 5/10 mins instead of what it is right now.

Ortiz

Sorceror
Stat loss shouldnt last more than 10 minutes. I think 5-8 would be better tho. Its like 20 minutes right now and it sucks nuts if you get ganked by random players and a factioner gets the killing blow on you.