UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Couple questions regarding PvP/PK/Murderers

Labove

Wanderer
It's been quite a long time since I had anything to do with the subject matter above. Many years ago I played a PK on the Baja server until the whole Feluccia/Trammel fiasco just messed things up in my opinion.

Recently finding, or better yet giving credit to my son for pointing me in the direction of this server, I have been here going on 2 months now. At this point I've pretty much stuck to the Pve scene. My hand eye coordination is not anywhere near what it use to be and coming up on the big "60" in a couple days, I still enjoy the rush of seeing "Mr. Red Badass is attacking you!" while I'm just farming the usual critters. Nothing against PKing or I wouldn't be here.

Now for the questions. I am tempted to try my luck at playing the shadier side. More than likely I'll just embarrass myself, but what the hell... won't know until I try.
1.) Is the PvP on this server mostly factions contests or is it PKing as I know it back in the day?
2.) What is the deal with Reds being able to come to town and not get guard whacked?
3.) On death, do murderers have to get rezzed at the Chaos Shrine still if someone doesn't want to lose karma or does it even matter?
4.) Is there a stat loss on death or some other penalty?
5.) Feel free to add anything else relevant to this. I've did do a search for some things and did find some answers, but sorting through some of it just made my head spin.

Much appreciate the responses ahead of time.

Pepsi_Rox

Knight
1.) Is the PvP on this server mostly factions contests or is it PKing as I know it back in the day?
2.) What is the deal with Reds being able to come to town and not get guard whacked?
3.) On death, do murderers have to get rezzed at the Chaos Shrine still if someone doesn't want to lose karma or does it even matter?
4.) Is there a stat loss on death or some other penalty?
5.) Feel free to add anything else relevant to this. I've did do a search for some things and did find some answers, but sorting through some of it just made my head spin.
1.) No longer Reds patrolling the edge of GZ's, faction contests and events seem to be main sources for PVP/horseplay
2.) In my opinion this is why solo red activity is so low currently, though the gradual decline in farming/resource gathering also has a major effect on this
3.) Ya know, I'm not quite sure. I want to say all shrines can lock karma equally, but I'd lean more toward it doesn't even matter (I'm kinda guessing on this one)
4.) There is stat loss for factions, I think it lasts like 5 minutes or something like that. No stat loss for players outside of factions. There is stat loss for pets when they die, I believe its -1 from each skill per death unless the pet is resed by a NPC Vet, then I think it's -2?
5.) [add "anything else relevant to this"

Labove

Wanderer
Thanks for the reply. Sort of tells me the glorious days of the old school PKs is a thing of the past. I don't mean this in the sense of individual pvp skill, but through just my own experience so far hunting in the few places I have and seeing very few "reds". I would imagine they frequent the more profitable hunting areas. No matter. At this point I'm once again enjoying something of a resemblance of what was. Again, thank you.

Pepsi_Rox

Knight
Thanks for the reply. Sort of tells me the glorious days of the old school PKs is a thing of the past. I don't mean this in the sense of individual pvp skill, but through just my own experience so far hunting in the few places I have and seeing very few "reds". I would imagine they frequent the more profitable hunting areas. No matter. At this point I'm once again enjoying something of a resemblance of what was. Again, thank you.
Well, things are changing on the PVP front, so don't expect the glory days to be gone for long!

Also, if you feel like PKing try lich and Balron spawns. These can be really active from 8am-12pm/8pm-12am, because thats double loot hours. You can also find some action West of brit bridge at most times.

Happy Hunting!

jordlesus

Sorceror
As far as I can tell, a lot of the PvPers/PKers quit due to changes in combat the staff made a while back. Coupled with removing Delucia/T2A for a short time, the server's population took a pretty serious hit. (I myself quit for a while due to T2A being removed, and I didn't come back until they put it back in.) Used to be around 700 people online at once, now I rarely see it go over 400 or 450. It's a shame, because like you I used to PVP a lot in the older days, and have more or less just been taking it easy on Hybrid. I have no interest in PVP myself, but having an active PKer population is important to the challenge/risk factor. If I wanted to mine/craft all day without getting attacked, looted, and called a noob, I would go play on a Trammel server.

Labove

Wanderer
Yea... I got talked into a Trammel server many years ago. I lasted about a month. There was absolutely no consequences for anything you did. Insurance, Uber weapons and armor (although I see a bit of that uber shit here too), it was all detrimental to not only my fun but to anyone that liked the early days of UO where even if you didn't care for the pvp part of it, you still liked that "chance you'll lose all your shit on you", so you just thought out things before doing them.

Now that I've been here for going on 2 months I think, I'm noticing a few things that are questionable. Gold is practically worthless. It's easy to get and due to that you can practically buy anything making crafting sort of something you do for a pass time and not for profit other than maybe pots and a few things.
Was walking around Britain and Moonglow of late with the fair going on and the bank squatters just go park their character but do nothing else except spam vendors who are depleted of anything to sell and gold sellers who for the life of me wonders why in the fuck anyone would buy gold when it's so easy to get.

I made a pvp character but doubtful I'll do much with it for a number of reasons. I'm not into dueling or factions. Sort of a non-interesting aspect for me.
Although there is a certain amount of attraction that I log in every day to carry out a few pass times, there is by no means enough to make me want to sit in front of the game for hours upon hours as in the old days. All in all though, of all the private servers I've read up on, this one is sort of akin to that table full of ugly girls, and you want to dance.... there's always one that's not as ugly as all the rest.

jordlesus

Sorceror
Hybrid is definitely the best free shard I've played on. Even with the obnoxious amount of rares they give out and the "buy all the gold and 7x skillballs you'll ever need" donation shop, it's still fun. The trick for me is to challenge yourself, like refusing to purchase gold or buy/sell rares. That way you have to earn your fortune the old fashioned way. In the gold sellers' defense, a lot of the PVP guys buy gold just to skip the slow grind it takes to become stable enough for factions and guild fighting. I myself play UO for the grind itself. I like to build an empire out of nothing. Once I get rich enough legitimately, I'm going to start cleaning house on the Poker boat and hording rares and gold to keep it out of circulation. Gotta stick it to the man somehow.

You're right about the potions, they love that shit. You can also sell sets of leather armor since most people are mages. Certain wands can sell decently I think, so can GM quality runebooks (10 charges). Another good seller is magic weapons/armor from monster loot, or from runic tools. The best thing to sell is obviously rares, but that feels like cheating to me.

My only experience with PVP on Hybrid was a pirate character. My fisherman once got boat-jacked and marooned on an island as a ghost by two pirates, and since then I've been obsessed with the idea. I made a PKer named Blackbeard that rode around on a boat and terrorized the local fishermen, but overall I sucked against anyone capable of defending themselves. I'm just not as aggressive as I was in the old days I guess. I still want to try that again though, maybe I'll start up a semi-RP pirate guild this time. (This also explains my forum avatar, it's Blackbeard's flag lol.)

Labove

Wanderer
Well you pretty much hit the nail on the head there my friend. I still walk around like a junk collector and pick up everything people discard and if I can't use it, I sell it and each time I think I hit the motherload when I find x-amount of empty bottles laying around.
I did manage to GM a couple tailors to double up on the bods. I guess I should maybe think of setting up a vendor somewhere to sell some armor and pots that I can make as well. I'm not sure what those home owners near the malls charge for hosting someone else's vendor. Wondering if finding a small plot out somewhere just for vendors would be something to consider. Would have to try and get it known somehow but camping around a bank and spamming my wares isn't something I can bring myself to do. Will give it much more thought.

In the process of cross breeding plants from the seeds I got off the boglings and bog things to grow my own orange petals and green thorns for a possible vendor someday. Had the chance to just buy the seeds outright to grow the plants right away for the orange petals but couldn't get myself to take the shortcut. Still a couple generations from my goal but at least getting there will be fairly rewarding in itself.

I guess if you look at the gold selling/buying thing the way you put it where as factions and guild fighting is concerned, it makes a bit more sense.
Not much into the rares thing. I have a few that some folks just tossed out and I got a couple when I came up on a small idoc that fell and I was the only one that found it, but other than that, they just don't interest me.

The pirate thing sounds pretty damn interesting if there are enough fishermen to prey on out there. Now THAT is more my style. May have to look into that some more as well. I have an "almost GM" fisherman, but he has yet to take to the high seas for anything. Pretty much just fish from the docks for fish to make fish steaks. Except for a blacksmith and inscription, I have enough mules to keep me in goods so that I just have to get a few resources. The blacksmith thingy seems kind of pointless right now as everyone seems to wear leather or light weight stuff. Inscription... maybe down the line some when I run out of other things to keep me busy.

Well thanks for the response and some enlightenment. Much stuff to keep in mind and think about. **salute**