UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Daily Quests: (My attempt at activity bolstering)

Should the Daily Quest system be implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • With some changes

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Vlek

Sorceror
My idea to fight stagnation and "get those damn trammies to leave the guard zone" is to use a WoW-style daily quest system that gives a blessed quest deed, much like a BOD, that asks for a certain number of a type of random item (even going so far as polarbear rugs and other rare-ish items), monster corpse, etc, and, once filled, can be given to the quest givers for a random amount of gold and a small percent chance at server handouts. This system is meant to counteract the feeling of most that what it means to play Hybrid is to AFK. This would most likely cause players to spend money, and, more importantly, time in game doing something other than afk'ing, gathering the requirements for the quest that will also give a huge incentive to all players of any play length because you have a .001 percent chance at a fallon shirt that, I am sure, will be hard to pass up for a lot of people.

In short, this system is meant to:
  1. Cause players to use up gold, resources, and items already owned to lessen server item count
  2. Give players a decently meaningful reason to Play 10-30 minutes a day instead of simply AFK'ing for handouts.
  3. Give a believable method of bridging the gap between 10 year old account holders, and complete newbies

Possible objections:
  • "It would be hard to implement"
    • This is absolutely false. Using the BOD system as a jump-off point, a write-up, code, server load testing and implementation could be done within several weeks.
  • "It's not fair that they get a chance at old handouts outright"
    • It is fair since the only other option would be to tell Mr. 30 day account that there is no real possibility for him to *really* enjoy the same privileges as others regardless of time spent playing from now on. It is also not like the quest system would have a 50% chance of giving a special hued kasa, it would be a very, very small percentage chance that dynamically scales itself based on the current number of that specific handout that exists on the server. Meaning that they have a decent (read up to ~10%) chance at some rares, like fuck trammy gear, but an astronomically low chance (< 1%) at hybrid plate and other very rare gear.
  • "This is not right because of my time and effort"
    • This is the main objection I believe this system will hear, and it is completely bogus. In order to get the handouts you did, you simply logged in and minimized. This system is implicitly telling people that these rewards are gainable by active methods every day which, to me, sets a needed tone for all of Hybrid.
  • "I like the system, but I don't like (Blank)"
    • I am not positing a completely done system, I am simply giving a rough idea of one that could help many aspects of the shard. Please feel free to help fill any blanks or offer suggestions, either building upon this one, or your own.
Things not necessarily worked out yet:
  • Would each day's item or monster (where you collect their corpse) be the same, or would each person have their own random item?
    • I foresee this being a seriously interesting issue because, on one hand, if everyone is going after the same items, then there could be trade where people get into the habit of getting these items ready and selling them at a decent price. Also, if everyone has the same goal, then they can band together to collect the items creating teamwork. However, that also means that PK's will know where players may be hunting or collecting for that particular day. This is not necessarily a bad thing because impromptu PvP is sometimes very fun and beautiful. However, if everyone has a different thing, then the server has very spread out people all going about their solo missions (unless they can band together into groups and all work on each others quests).
  • How long should the deeds last?
    • I believe that a person should have 24 hours from the time that they are given the deed to complete it so that it creates steady activity instead of allowing people to stockpile these quest deeds and do several of them at a later date.
  • Should these deeds be transferable?
    • On the one hand, it is easy to say "No". However, these deeds are meant to cause activity. If someone were to sell their deed, and the deed was only good for 24 hours, then the person that they sell it to would then have to complete it within the timeframe. Regardless, someone is going to be playing. I am entirely up in the air about this one. If they are made to be transferable, then their color should be determined by the amount of time left or it should say when clicking the deed to complete them so there is no ambiguity during trading. More than 12 hours: Blue/green, Less than 12 but greater than one: Yellow/Orange, One hour or less: Red
  • Should the items requested be entirely up to chance, or should they be tailored to individual character templates?
    • In my opinion, each deed should tailor itself to who is getting it. A crafter may be asked for something very similar to a BOD depending on their skills, and a warrior would be asked for monsters they could reasonably kill. However, if a person receives this quest and it is for something they might not necessarily be able to get on that character, it might force them to play a character that they normally don't. The only down side to this is that a person should not have to grind up a new character just so that they can perform what should be considered a 10-30 minute daily activity. There is always the option for the player to buy the items, so it is not terrible either way. Maybe have a 75/25 split that it is going to be something based on the person's template or something else?
  • Should the chance at ultra-rares be determined by the difficult/cost of the quest item requested?
    • This should be the case to an extent. Even if you get the easiest possible quest items, you should have what I would consider a "regular" chance at all items. The increase in difficulty should add a percentage chance. That way every quest is worth doing.

Last edited: